LLTI Archives

October 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:48:01 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:44:32 -0600
>Subject: Re: #9476.15 Anyone using Tell Me More?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I agree with the limitations of most available graphics display of pronunciation
modules, but I think the problem is not simply one of the brain's divide between
eyes, ears, and tongues.  The question, for me, is not whether graphics can help,
but rather what kind of voice processing, graphic displays, and student guidance
can be effective in improving which student pronunciation difficulties.  At this
stage of our understanding of student/pronunciation graphics interaction, I think
it is risky to interpret any research much more broadly than the specifics of
the experiment.

As others have mentioned, most of the pronunciation graphics displays seem closer
to a spy movie's voice-print than a guide to acceptable speech.  They focus on
that which is unique in each utterance, rather than highlighting what native speakers
have in common.  Not only can it be difficult for a native speaker to match the
model, it can be hard for a native speaker to match their own utterances from
one try to the next.

Language learning application programs have displayed sound as it is easy to display-
the way recording engineers are used to displaying it. This is a reasonable first
try, since the software tools are available, and language acquisition researchers
have not provided clear guidance for what should be done instead.  I think the
vendors are aware of the problems, and are looking to produce more useful products.
  It may be that we will have better options soon.  Or it may be that the problems
of analyzing voice and offering useful pronunciation guidance to students are
large and complex.  It seems credible that it will take a while before we learn
enough about voice processing and speech analysis to produce useful software in
this area.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]

Anthony Helm, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])