LLTI Archives

October 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 20:47:28 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 21:53:05 -0400
>Subject: Re: #9492 Interactive White Board Recommendations
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum	<[log in to unmask]>

Dear Barbara,

I taught French for at least 6 years using a Polyvision board. In fact, I was
the driving force in getting the first board into the high school where I
taught in CT. At the time, I much preferred SMART, had training on SMART
boards, and had given the powers that be all the info to get going with SMART,
but they already had some Polyvision boards in the district and went with that
company. Despite my disappointment, I did find any "smartboard", no matter the
make, to be indispensable for teaching, and never looked back. Now the district
has finally seen the light and is ordering all new ones from now on from SMART.
I did find the RM Education software for Polyvision a bit obscure & limited,
requiring a read of the manual or constant use to get a handle on what it could
do and not forget once I hadn't used it for a while. Alignment with the light
source was always a bit temperamental on the equipment itself. I would have
preferred trying the bells and whistles of the software that works with the
SMART boards, but nevertheless, it was just good training to learn how to work
with such equipment and make it part of my daily routine, which it indeed
became. If I had the choice, I'd go with SMART. They are just much more "with
it" as a company and move pretty fast to update and elaborate their software,
and their training sessions are substantive. Polyvision takes the back seat to
SMART, in my opinion.

Sincerely,

Emily Wentworth
former teacher in French