LLTI Archives

September 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:52:09 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Thomas Plagwitz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Thomas Plagwitz <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:         Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:06:11 -0400
>Subject: Re: #9476 Anyone using Tell Me More?
>To: [log in to unmask]

Hi,

My understanding is that Auralog Tell me more was designed for self-study.
Integrating it into a language program with a face-to-face component is what
we attempted in an environment, where an ab initio language program was
being built, w/o given textbook materials.

There were a number of desiderata for the course administrator, like issues
with account creation/integration with SIS (worked around this with some
excel/VBA trickery), with lack of convenient content adaptation, or even
content search, worked around that with (ho-hum!) GUI-automation scripts,
to extract the content, and to facilitate building personalized learning paths.

I reported on the results at EUROCALL 2008 and have a screencast of my
presentation and additional documentation and training materials here:

http://plagwitz1.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!4FA3329905D7E1CE!1305.entry

http://plagwitz1.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!4FA3329905D7E1CE!1304.entry

These posts also include some screencasts which show the administrative
interface in action  - all attention seems usually focused on the learner
interface instead.

If you decide to go down this route, I can also make the GUI automation
scripts available to you.

What I was hoping for is using the rather rich (quantity and quality) content

for homework/self-access preparation, to form a basis for face-to-face
classes, based on some review of homework materials, depending on
outcome/score, some higher level material from tell me more suitable for face-
to-face-classes, and then more communicative exercises (which partially still

could reuse the content from tell me more).

I think if one sets clear objectives, one you can achieve this, and the benefits

would outweigh the costs. If you need to integrate it with an existing
textbook, I think costs will be higher and benefits smaller. If you need a self-
access only material, vice versa: lower costs, smaller benefits.

However, as you will be aware, for your users, it is going to be "yet another

inbox", and interface to learn.

My experience is with Auralog Tell me more 7.3, fat client/intranet  based.
 From reviews and BETT 2009 presentations, TMM9 intranet seems to have
much the same architecture/features. I have also looked into several of their

web-based versions. I see they now have student recording in the web-based
version, just like Quia.com. I would welcome any information on how the newer

versions,  web-based or not, are different in the areas I have discussed
above.

Best regards,
thomas
--