LLTI Archives

September 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:50:51 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Claire Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Claire Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:12:48 -0500
>Subject: Re: LLTI Digest - 20 Sep 2010 to 21 Sep 2010 (#2010-107)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

At Rice, we have used TMM for several years, partly to fulfill credit requirements
since our first year classes meet three times a week but carry 5 credits, and
second year classes meet three times a week, and carry 4 credits. TMM is not the
only type of activity students have to complete  to fulfill outside of class credit
requirements. They also complete Wimba exercises, blogs, on-line listening comprehension
exercises etc...

We have used mostly the TMM network version. We tried the on-line version for
German for a year but encountered too many technical support challenges and decided
to return to the network version. We use the network version for German, French,
Italian and Spanish. For Arabic we use the CD-Rom version which is unfortunately
very slow but I believe could be installed on your network. For Japanese TMM is
on our network but it does not have a teacher tool allowing tracking of students
records. So students cut and paste their results in a word file which is saved
in a drop folder for our instructor. Students may use the Chinese CD-Rom version
as supplemental material if they wish.

The network version has several advantages; it saves students recordings which
instructors can check (the online version does not), it is easier to support,
and it is much less expensive because of the way the license works.  The network
version user license can be used by any student, while the on-line version requires
one license per student. Requiring students to purchase a license in the bookstore
is an option, but for a private institution where students pay large tuition bills
it is not  desirable, especially since our students already have to pay exhorbitant
amount of money for key access to on-line textbook material.

Overall, TMM has worked well for us and we continue to use it for language classes
mentioned above.

For some less commonly taught languages such as Hebrew and Korean, we have begun
using Rosetta Stone network version. Here again the on-line version is too expensive.

Good luck,

Claire