LLTI Archives

September 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:14:13 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:22:42 +0000
>Subject: RE: #9482 Arabic typing tutor software
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

We are developing a game (in Java) to be used for both typing practice and vocabulary
in any language that is supported by unicode and could be used for Arabic.

It is similar to the game "Typer Shark", where the player must type the correct
character or sequence before an object crosses the screen.

The system allows for any person or group to create their own content for their
language or program that can be "plugged into" the game.

Essentially, a list is made in notepad or anything that can make a text file that
looks like this:

English | romanji | hiragana | kanji
animals | doubutsu | [LIST-EDITOR - double-byte characters] | [LIST-EDITOR - double-byte
characters]

We started with Japanese as it is suited for multi-face cards. So, the program
will read the text file and load this word into the system. Depending how it's
set the user will be given one face (say Kanji) and must type in another (Romanji)
(they will be told which and it is consistent for each round). Only those that
are type-able will be given as input options. For typing practice, the word they
must type will be shown to them, or can be shown to them after a period of time.
If a student is unable to type the correct word before it reaches the other side
of the screen the system will remember. It will also remember if the student gets
it correct quickly. What words or "cards" or characters a student knows and doesn't
know well are remembered and future levels and difficulty are created based on
how well they know which words.

While still in development, it has animation, graphics, sound, music, etc with
a full scoring and level system to keep learners interested. Right now, we don't
have it ready for online deployment, but hope to sometime before Winter quarter.

We are interested in working with others who might find this useful for their
language or have suggestions.

So, for Arabic typing we would need a unicode correspondence developed that we
could use in the system so that certain keys on the English IME are mapped correctly
to the IME keys for Arabic, as well as a list of "words" or "characters" to be
used for the game.

If anyone is interested in this project or has any questions, comments or suggestions,
please let me us know.

Thanks,

-Russell Hugo
UW Language Learning Center SA