LLTI Archives

September 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:39:15 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:01:28 -0400
>Subject: Gospel films in LCTLs
>acceptlanguage: en-US

My husband was talking to a former student of his, who is involved in the Campus
Crusade for Christ. This came up because he was off to Benin to work on
recording the audio for the Fon-gbe version of a film on the life of Jesus
Christ from the point of view of Mary Magdalene.

This is part of something called the Jesus Film Project, the
woman's-point-of-view film joining a straight retelling of St. Luke's gospel
called the Jesus Film and a version for kids. The thing about these films is
that they have been dubbed into a very large number of languages (1098 for the
original film), including for example 6 dialects of Fufulde and a couple of Fiji
languages. The completed films (2 hours for the Jesus film, 1 hour for the
children's) are posted online.

http://www.jesusfilm.org/film-and-media/watch-the-film

The purpose, of course, is to proselytize, providing a gospel for each
prospective convert's own language. The visuals were devised so that there is a
minimum of visible mouth movement (voice-overs, persons turned away, etc.) to
make dubbing easier and less obtrusive.

But the scope of the international project is fascinating, and it strikes me
that this provides examples of some endangered languages that are not taught at
all (Will, the young man headed for Benin, said that in a few cases the
translator has simply made an audiorecording of the script for the voice actors,
since there is no written form in common use).

I watched a bit of the films and they seem to be an intelligent retelling,
closely following Luke's gospel. I am not a fan of movies on this subject; the
only one I've ever watched was Pasolini's, and I thought this was comparable in
its simplicity and directness. Most of the actors are, I gather, Israelis,
though the main one is a Brit and looks it (I do understand that Jesus would
have had perfect teeth, a theological point I learned in Catholic school).

Just thought I would give a heads-up as this is a pretty interesting resource.

Judith P. Shoaf
Director, Language Learning Center
University of Florida
PO 117300