LLTI Archives

September 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:30:56 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Griffin, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Griffin, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:43:04 -0500
>Subject: RE: #9476 Anyone using Tell Me More?
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>

We tried it out in Summer 2009. It's basically a very good program,
extremely comprehensive in that it could take years to do all lessons in
a traditional university course setting. It seems, in my opinion, more
geared toward independent learning (business, tourism, self enrichment
etc.) and would be very useful in a tutored study setting or for online
classes. Our faculty felt even the beginning levels were more than what
could be covered in a semester. We went back to the Vistas 3rd Edition
text for Spanish that fall. It's better than any textbook content wise
but old habits are hard to break and some teachers are resistant to
change for fear of being outsourced to a website.

We did have some tech problems with Active X and Flash versus our
network setup and Windows XP. Sometimes, sound clips just wouldn't play
or they would stall midway through. I was told by the representative
that they would soon be scrapping Active X technology to make the system
more compatible with non IE browsers and Mac OS in the future.

Thomas Griffin
Supervisor, Language Learning Lab
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 N Saint Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
773-442-4753 (phone)