MACSCRPT Archives

August 2010

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Laine Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:28:34 -0500
On 6/4/10 10:21 AM, "Bill Steele" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my problem seemed to be a compiling
> issue. I could use some clarification.
>
> Moved a script from a 10.5 to a 10.6 machine. Contained a line like:
>
> splittext foo using return
>
> Opened the script and got the <event blah blah..>. version.  Oops.
> Forgot to put Satimage in the ScriptingAdditions folder.  Put it in
> and reopened the script and now the command compiles, but running the
> script generates an error:
>
> "(big bunch of text) doesn't understand the splittext message."
>
> Restarted computer. Same result.
>
> So I delete
>
> splittext foo using return
>
> and type in
>
> splittext foo using return
>
> Compile. Run. Presto. It works.
>
> What happened there?

If you still have the original uncompilable text saved in a backup
somewhere, you might copy it and paste it into a TextWrangler document, then
look at the invisible characters to see if you have a backward question
mark. Nulls can be generated in several ways, I think, although I couldn't
furnish a list.

Laine Lee