MACSCRPT Archives

August 2010

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Delacour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:29:31 +0100
I posted this message to the Smile list a few days ago but it hasn't
appeared.  Perhaps someone here knows what's happening...

Back in 2006 I wrote this script for Eudora users

        <http://bd8.com/eudora/scripts/#searcheudorasettings>

that allows you to search for settings matching a regular expression,
and the script continues to work for many users, but users of later
versions of Mac OS X have been complaining it doesn't work any more.

Since I have no access to anything later than 10.4.11 I have been
reluctant to fix the problem and involve myself in long Q&A sessions
with users who don't understand AppleScript.  However one persistant
user finally persuaded me to send him a couple of tests and I
discover that AppleScript is eating, annihilating, the entire
contents of a handler that is meant to return the full list of Eudora
settings.  The man in question has opened the script in Script Editor
(10.5.8) and something called AppleScript Editor (10.7.*) and on
editing and saving the file size shrinks from 199,180 bytes to 9,729
as a result of the emptying of the handler.

Now I have no idea how to deal with such rogues and wonder if it
would make any difference if they recompiled and saved in Smile,
since it seems to be a massive bug in AppleScript.  If not, then I
shall have to supply the settings in a separate file and have the
script read that.  But who knows what other deficiencies I will bring
to light in the process.

Hope someone can enlighten me.  Perhaps these people are simply
holding their computers by the wrong corner!

JD