LLTI Archives

July 2010, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 02:15:41 -0400
(1)  from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

There are probably hundreds of flashcard programs for the
iPod/iPhone/iPad, and finding recent comparative reviews is difficult.
Here is a link to a MacWorld review from 2008:

<http://www.macworld.com/appguide/article.html?article=136222>

Other reviews have recommended gFlash, Mental Case, or creating slides
in Keynote, iPhoto, and/or your favorite video editor.

For language learning, Transparent Language's "Before You Know It" is
worth a long look.  Not only do they have versions for many platforms,
but they already have many sets of word lists for dozens of languages.
They have integration with Twitter, which seems like a perfect
connection for our students.  There is a user community sharing
resources, so a lot of the development work has already been done.
There is a free version (Before You Know It Express), which makes it
affordable to deploy to the hundreds or thousands of students in our
programs.  Then the Deluxe version can be purchased in smaller
quantities for teachers and developers.

<http://www.byki.com/>

I like to support Transparent Language, because it is a small company
with a commitment to language learning, and tries to respond to the
needs and requests of teachers and students.  Their products and sales
model are constantly evolving, so I don't claim to have all the current
details right.  Contacting the company could clarify whether this
product would fit your needs.

Transparent Language used to be a member of this discussion list.  If
they still are, perhaps they will chime in, and give us the current
scoop.

Derek

(2) from   Deborah Symons <[log in to unmask]

My students have mentioned to me before that there are some useful tools online
to create them, I have never tried them myself, but they found them via Google.
But I'm not sure about the iPod...
Maybe try this:

http://www.studyblue.com/mkt/flashcard.html

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Prof. Deborah K. Symons
Spanish Language & Culture

(3)  from Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]

We use Mental Case, they have a free edu version that can create, edit or
download flashcards from a webserver. Feel free to contact me if you'd like more
info.

Carly
Sent from my iPhone

(4)  from  [log in to unmask]

<http://www.gwhizmobile.com/Desktop/gFlash.php>

Very good.

david

--
david herren-lage - shoreham, vt & pamplona, es

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

(5)  from   Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]>

We have been using iFlash by Loopware for many years.  It is most powerful as a
desktop Mac application, but the vocab can be exported to a classic iPod's
"Notes", and the developer has also made an app for the Touch/iPhone.

I have discovered, however, that lately, the students at our school are more
inclined to use Quizlet, a Flash-based website, to play games with their vocab.

Cheers,
Margo

Margo Burns
Director of The Language Center
St. Paul's School
325 PLeasant St.
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 229-4666 (office/voicemail)
(603) 229-4665 (lab)

(6)  from Matthew Lubeck [log in to unmask]

Our Chinese professor was interested in this last year, so I figured out a way
to make flash cards for iTunes, iPhones, iPods, etc... using Powerpoint and
Audacity for the audio recording part. Obviously, if you just want characters or
words on one side and definitions on the other... there's no need to make audio
recordings.

I'm attaching the instruction sheet I created and then was posted up for
students. There was very minimal growing pains for them, other than the usual
grumbling about, well, having to do any type of work outside of classtime, they
figured it out quickly and posted hundreds of flash cards onto our Chinese
Community Blackboard site.

I've never sent attachments through this listserv, so if it doesn't work, just
email me directly and I'll send you everything I have. I haven't updated this
yet (screenshots, links, etc...) for the upcoming school year yet, so keep in
mind a few links or software versions may have changed since last Fall.

Cheers,
The Moose

Matthew Lubeck
University of Miami
Eleonore Graves Tripp Modern Languages Laboratory, Coordinator
305-284-3755

(7)  from [log in to unmask]

Gflash is a free application that converts 2-column google spreadsheets into
simple flashcards.    It works on iphone/ipod/ipad, blackberry and android.

http://www.gwhizmobile.com/Desktop/gFlash.php