LLTI Archives

July 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 03:42:53 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Subject: copyright policies & workshops for faculty
>Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:46:22 -0400

I am wondering if anyone has an existing copyright policy (post-DMCA)
for their center and whether anyone has gone the route of offering a
workshop for faculty on copyright?  I am considering my approach to
educating faculty better on these issues, particularly as it relates
to a move to more distance education delivery and the implications/
limitations of TEACH.

These are some of my specific questions around your development of
your policy and/or workshop:

a) Did you bring in an outside speaker?  If so, who and how did you
select this person?
b) Do you have an established copyright policy already or is this
something that a committee drew up (as a result of the workshop?)
c) Is your policy a precedent on campus or did a campus-wide policy
exist for which you drew up "guidelines"?
d) Who else on your campus did you involve?  Purchasing?  A/V? IT?
Provost's Office?

My most critical question, however, is:

How did you foster an environment of acceptance of a copyright policy
& reduce negative reactions from faculty who may be used to applying
fair use erroneously?

Thanks,
Deanne

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo