LLTI Archives

July 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 22:07:12 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:13:18 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9434 IALLT Language Center Design Kit

Hi Barbara,

I am currently adding a small teleconference facility to my lab
space. We have a large teleconference facility across campus, managed
by the central IT people, which works for some classes but is
sometimes hard to schedule as it is becoming more popular.

My room will be comfortable for individual use (we've had requests
for virtual dissertation defenses, job interviews for grad students,
one student here taking a class from a sister campus in a language
not offered at UCI, etc.), and for small classes who want to bring in
a virtual guest speaker or meet with classes at institutions in
countries where the target language is spoken.

These kinds of activities are happening more regularly and my Dean's
office likes the idea of saving some travel money by allowing faculty
and others to participate virtually in meetings as much as possible.
In this way I will serve the whole School of Humanities, but will
mostly focus on uses for language classes. When not being used for
teleconferencing, the space will be available for use by groups for
project work, meetings, etc.

Judi

>Greetings:
>
>The IALLT Language Center Design Kit is being updated, and as one of the
>module authors I am in the process of revising the section I wrote for the
>2003 edition.
>
>I am working on the  module entitled "Special Needs and Usages to be
>Considered in Designing a New Center."  This module is intended to help a
>Director anticipate additional potential uses of the Language Center ...
>beyond just being  "a lab."
>
>My goal is to make this revision relevant to our current (2010 and beyond)
>surroundings and realities. As I did for the last version, I would like to
>ask for input from the LLTI readership.
>
>In 2003, the additional spaces and places to be included in a Center that
>were suggested by all of you were:
>
>Smart Classrooms
>Multimedia Authoring/Faculty Workstations
>Audio/Video Recording Studios
>Small Multipurpose Viewing Rooms
>Larger Film Screening Spaces
>Individual Student Media Stations
>Discipline Specific Spaces (ASL training, LCTL meeting space)
>An office for the Director
>Space for Support Staff
>Storage Space
>A server room (if you have servers)
>Lounge
>
>Additional considerations:
>open cable runs (wiring outside of the wall vs inside) so wiring can change
>if need be
>both wired and wireless access
>
>If you were planning a Center today, knowing what you do about working with
>faculty, student and the instructional technology that connects them...what
>possible uses/ spaces would you recc'd be included?
>
>Let me know if you would like to be cited for your contributions.
>
>Feel free to respond here or to me directly.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Barbara
>

>--
>Barbara Sawhill
>Director, Cooper International Learning Center
>Lecturer, Hispanic Studies
>Oberlin College
>http://languages.oberlin.edu
>ph: 440-775-8595
>
>blog: http://languagelabunleashed.org
>twitter: bsawhill
>skype: barbarasawhill
>sl: Barbara Pluto

>Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

Judi Franz, MA, Director
Humanities Instructional Resource Center  |
http://www.humanities.uci.edu/hirc/
(949) 824-4500  |  Humanities Hall 269  |  [log in to unmask]

Host of IALLT 2011 |  http://iallt2011.wordpress.com/  |  [log in to unmask]
International Association for Language Learning Technology |  http://iallt.org/