LLTI Archives

July 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 22:07:08 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Subject: Re: #9434.1 (!) IALLT Language Center Design Kit
>Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:03:06 -0400

Hi Barbara & Derek,
I was not part of the design of our center at KU, but I must say that
I like it because of how adaptable it is.  I am going to describe it
below and dissect it a bit there too.

First I wanted to talk a bit about the setup Derek mentions.  I used
to work in a center such as Derek describes and it was great for what
we used it for:  independent studies (or partner work) at the systems
& small group work (or target-language conversation hours) at the
middle tables.  Where it was problematic was where faculty wanted the
flexibility to go from presentation to individual work on the systems
without having students have to move back and forth from the computers
to the middle desk.  They also weren't ideal for any situation where
faculty wanted to be able to see students' faces while they worked on
teh computers (e.g., to gauge student's expressions for signs of
frustration, etc.).  It was the right set up at the time and given the
same teaching purposes, I would probably advocate the same
configuration.

Different faculty, different teaching styles and a different setting
is needed (as we all know).  At KU here, we also have what I think is
a nice balance between group & setups.  We have our tables set up in
rows perpendicular to the front and students face each other across
the stations.  I have a couple of pictures on-line at
http://www.kutztown.edu/academics/liberal_arts/lrc/lrc/facilities.html
  .  The nice thing about these stations is that the monitors are on
standards that are collapsable and can be stored away in a compartment
at the back of the desk.  The keyboard and the mice are put on top of
the monitor in the same area.  This allows the desks to convert to
being non-computer workstations so that students can talk back and
forth over the desks.  The monitors can also swivel on their stands so
that multiple students can view the monitor more easily (although the
monitors are on the small size).  I do wish the desks weren't so deep
and maybe that they would be clustered a bit more (rather than full
rows), so that there would be a greater sense of "intimacy" in the
groups.

That being said, in our next redesign (maybe 10 years when a new
building comes?), we will likely be looking at fewer desktop systems
or a greater use of laptops/netbooks, etc.  Our emphasis will be on a
greater number of network drops and easier to access power outlets.  I
am also considering whether there is a way to use a similar set up but
with laptops or netbooks as opposed to the desktop models (because in
10 years, who knows where virtual computers will be).  Increasingly we
are seeing students come to the lab with their laptops and eschewing
our desktops for their personal laptops.  Of course, this doesn't work
when they need an application that isn't virtual or web-based.

Deanne

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo
Director, Language Resource Center
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania