LLTI Archives

July 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:05:09 -0400
Barbara,

I would recommend adding a Multipurpose Smart Distance Learning Classroom
equipped with a high-end Tandberg, LiveSize, or Polycom videoconferencing
system, a ceiling mounted document camera, a PC interface for connecting
computers to the camera, a laptop, a DVD/VCR player, a large flat panel TV, and
onsite technical support.

Due to the increasing demand for distance language courses through the Committee
on Institutional Cooperation (CIC)* CourseShare program and the Indiana
University/Australian National University Joint Pan-Asian Institute, my center
started adding the distance learning technology and functions first to the
International TV and Language Table room in 2008, then to the Language Pedagogy
Lab in 2009, and recently to the Computer-Mediated Communication Lab.  Now I've
three distance learning classrooms offering Akan Twi, Bamana, Indonesian,
Mongolian, Pashto, Uzebek, and Wolof while providing faculty and students all
the original functions when the facilities are not used for distance classes.

* CIC is a consortium of the Big Ten universities plus the University of
Chicago. Capitalizing on distance-learning technology allows CIC member
universities to increase student access to specialized courses in the same
manner as regular courses. Grades and credits are reported on the student's home
university transcript. Students do not need to temporarily relocate and there
are often no additional fees associated with shared courses.

Citation would be appreciated.

James

James C. Chan, Ph.D., Director

Center for Language Technology and Instructional Enrichment (CeLTIE)

120 Ballantine Hall, Indiana University Bloomington

Website: www.iu.edu/~celtie<http://www.iu.edu/~celtie>

Phone: 812-855-0004