LLTI Archives

July 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:24:42 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[BARRIOS TECHNOLOGY]"

>From: "Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[BARRIOS TECHNOLOGY]"
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Disposition-Notification-To: "Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[BARRIOS TECHNOLOGY]"
>Return-Receipt-To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 08:59:09 -0500
>Subject: RE: #9435 Russian dictionary and spell checker
>acceptlanguage: en-US

There are a number of on-line dictionaries that work pretty well and are free,
though they all have their downsides.  One that my colleagues and our more
advanced students use is called MultiTran:  http://www.multitran.ru.  It's most
usable for people who already know a decent amount of Russian, since there are a
number of variants to sift through.  It also provides information on inflection.

Though not a dictionary proper, I've found that Google translate yields decent
results:  http://translate.google.com/#.

As for a Russian-English dictionary to purchase, I'd recommend Abby Lingvo.

I believe Microsoft has a Russian spellchecker, but it--surprise--must be
purchased.

As for shareware spellcheckers, good luck--if you find anything, please share
with the list!

Tony Vanchu

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu, Ph.D.
TechTrans International, Inc.