PALEOBOT Archives

July 2010

PALEOBOT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Walter Buechler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:30:56 -0400
Dear PaleoListserv member,
I am interested in changes of venation patterns in response to changes in
environmental parameters (temperature, water availability, elevation etc.). So
far I found that several modern species of Salix subg. Protitea (according to
Skvortsov an evolutionary “retarded” subgenus) may vary from
eucamptodromous to brochidodromous (semicraspedodromous?), and to
producing straight intramarginal veins as a function of latitude. As an example,
Salix nigra is eucamptodromous in Quebec and northeastern USA, and
brochidodromous in Florida, Texas, and Mexico). Because of overall climate
cooling since Eocene times one would expect to find more brochidodromous
Salix leaves in the fossil record than in modern Salix leaves from similar
latitudes. This does, however, not seem to be the case. Has anybody seen S.
nigra –like fossil leaves (e.g. S. inquirenda, S. succorensis, S. desatoyana or
any other long, narrow-leaved species) with a brochidodromous
(semicraspedodromous?) venation or an intramarginal vein? I am attaching an
image of a cleared S. nigra leaf (from Mexico) as an example of a
brochidodromous (semicraspedodromous?) venation pattern. I would very
much appreciate any feedback on this matter.
Sincerely,
Walter Buechler