UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2010, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:29:22 -0400
Yesterday's persistent storms that swept across the Mt. Mansfield
ridgeline were replaced by clear and calm conditions this morning.
Mist-netting and banding were surprisingly slow overall, but we caught 4
Bicknell's Thrush, 2 of which were females with full incubation/brood
patches. We later found a nest with 4 newly-hatched young in a patch of
dense fir. The 4 Red Crossbills were a nice surprise -- does anyone have
a theory for why this species has recently shown up on mountaintops? In
almost 20 years of studying montane forest birds in VT, we have only
observed White winged Crossbills, and those only in summers following
bumper cone crops, which were not produced in 2009. We haven't observed
any White-wingeds or Pine Siskins in 2010, and we have yet to encounter
a red squirrel on Mansfield this season.

Chris

Location:     Mt. Mansfield - MANS plot
Observation date:     6/25/10
Number of species:     16