LLTI Archives

June 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:45:49 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from National Foreign Language Resource Center

>Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:16:18 -1000 (HST)
>From: National Foreign Language Resource Center <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Call for Papers for Special Issue of Language Learning & Technology
>To: [log in to unmask]

Call for Papers for Special Issue of Language Learning & Technology
(http://llt.msu.edu)

Theme: Hegemonies in CALL

Guest Editors: Marie-Noelle Lamy and Mark Pegrum

An assumption that the technologies, pedagogies, educational and sociocultural
norms associated with CALL are universal has implicitly permeated much of the
discipline's research over the past two decades. In this issue we will draw
together critical perspectives that problematize the workings of hegemonies. By
"hegemony," we understand a situation where one culture or one form of praxis
predominates and, deliberately or not, prevents the development or continued
viability of alternative cultures and forms of praxis. We will assemble a
provocative collection, from a multicultural, multilingual group of
contributors, contrasting voices from the Anglosphere with voices from less
well-served territories/cultures to ensure a rich dialogue between and around
articles. We particularly welcome proposals for articles that include less
well-researched languages, student cohorts and teaching contexts.

Please consult the LLT Website for general guidelines on submission
(http://llt.msu.edu/contrib.html) and research
(http://llt.msu.edu/resguide.html).

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

* CALL & technological hegemonies (including hegemonic implications of the
Internet and Web, commonly used Web 2.0 tools, and mobile technologies)

* CALL & pedagogical hegemonies (including hegemonic implications of social
constructivism and associated interactive, collaborative, student-centred
pedagogies; curriculum and course design; and the design of open access
materials and digital repositories)

* CALL & educational hegemonies (including hegemonic educational and
institutional policies, expectations and norms)

* CALL & social hegemonies (including the hegemonic implications of norms and
practices of online interaction)

* CALL & inter/cultural hegemonies (including hegemonic implications of Western
cultural norms and Western approaches to tolerance, openness, relativism and
the skills associated with intercultural competence)

* CALL & sociopolitical hegemonies (including the hegemonic implications of
democratic structures in education, and resistance to hegemonies)

Please send letter of intent and 250-word abstract by October 1, 2010 to

Publication timeline:
* October 1, 2010: Submission deadline for abstracts
* October 15, 2010: Invitation to authors to submit a manuscript
* March 1, 2011: Submission deadline for manuscripts
* June 1, 2012: Publication of special issue