LLTI Archives

June 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:37:56 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:51:47 -0500 (CDT)
>From: "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #9426 dual boot headsets

We have a converter box that we found from some guy in Canada (I have to look up
the reference).  It's literally a guy in his garage, so he had trouble making
them fast enough for us.

But honestly, it's not a great idea.  We have loads of problems keeping the
stations working.  The mic goes into the box and there is a mini-jack cable from
the box to the line-in on the iMac.  It's a rat's nest of cables on the desk
behind the iMac.

Students want to use their own earphones unplug everything until something works
and then leave the station in shambles.  The next student (or class) comes along
and they can't figure out why the headset mic won't work.  We've resorted to
putting a dab of hot glue on the top of all of the cable-computer connections to
deter students from pulling out random plugs.  It hasn't completely solved the
problem, as the bond is relatively easy to break with a little force, but it's
cut down the destruction quite a bit.

If you have the choice, though, just get new USB headsets.  It'd be so much
easier.

~~
Academic Technologies
http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/at/

Foreign Language Technology
http://go.carleton.edu/f

My Calendar:
[log in to unmask]&fmt=freebusy" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask]&fmt=freebusy

Carly J. Born
Academic Technologies
Carleton College | 507-222-7010 | [log in to unmask]