MACSCRPT Archives

June 2010

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Deivy Petrescu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 08:43:03 -0400
On Jun 5, 2010, at 11:37 PM, Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:

> Hello Larry,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> On Jun 6, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Larry McMunn wrote:
>
>> On Jun 5, 2010, at 10:00 PM, Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:
>>> MS Word: how to save a doc file as rtf file in the SAME folder?
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}
>> tell application "Microsoft Word"
>> 	set thePath to full name of active document
>> 	tell me
>> 		set oldTIDs to text item delimiters of AppleScript
>> 		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"."}
>> 		set newDocPath to text items 1 thru -2 of thePath & "rtf" as string
>> 		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldTIDs
>> 	end tell
>> 	save document 1 in newDocPath as format rtf
>> end tell
>
> I tried this. Very curiously, this seems to do nothing at all...
>
> But using your code as a hint, I tried this:
>
> set fpath to "Macintosh HD:Users:[me]:Documents:mywork.doc"
>
> set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}
> tell application "Microsoft Word"
> 	activate
> 	open fpath
> 	set thePath to full name of active document
> 	tell me
> 		set oldTIDs to text item delimiters of AppleScript
> 		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"."}
> 		set newDocPath to text items 1 thru -2 of thePath & "rtf" as string
> 		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldTIDs
> 	end tell
> 	tell document 1
> 		save as file name (newDocPath) file format format rtf
> 		close
> 	end tell
> end tell
>
> And this time, it seems to work well. Although I still don't understand the reason why some code works, and some others don't, I think my problem is solved.

Well Nobumi, may be your problem is solved as far as I see it, there is a problem with word.

Using the script you said it was not working , the only difference is you are now manipulating text with AS instead of the shell.
It should make no difference in how the text is read afterwards.
This is a bug for me.

I do not script word, so it does not affect me. But it is certainly something that MS should be aware of.

> Thank you VERY MUCH!
>
> Best regard,
>
> Nobumi Iyanaga
> Tokyo,