LLTI Archives

May 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 13:51:10 -0400

--- Forwarded Message from Lance Askildson <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:46:22 -0400
>Subject: JOB OPENING: Asst Director, Language Center (University of Notre
Dame) to start Aug. 1, 2010
>From: Lance Askildson <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]

************************************ PLEASE
DISTRIBUTE ************************************

The University of Notre Dame invites applications for the position of
*Assistant
Director* *of the Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures* to begin
August 1, 2010.
*
*

*POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT*

The Center for the Study of Languages & Cultures (http://cslc.nd.edu) seeks
an *Assistant Director **for Language Technology & Programming* to help
support foreign language study, intercultural development and
internationalization at Notre Dame (www.nd.edu).  This is a new position
that has significant potential for professional development and growth.  In
addition to appropriate qualifications and experience (as detailed below),
the candidate should exhibit evidence of creative innovation to problem
solving alongside an entrepreneurial approach to project development and
management.  To this effect, the ideal candidate should be a collegial,
self-starter with an ability to work both autonomously and in close
cooperation with a large array of institutional partners.

*POSITION DESCRIPTION*

The Assistant Director for Language Technology & Programming is a full-time
staff position that coordinates all Center for the Study of Languages &
Cultures (CSLC) programming, resources and services as well as manages all
CSLC technology and instructional technology initiatives. This position
reports directly to the CSLC Director. Responsibilities include but are not
limited to:

*1)       *Maintaining and fostering communication with staff, students,
faculty and institutional partners

$E1         *e.g. attending/leading committee meetings, promoting CSLC
programs to students and faculty,  collecting feedback from stakeholders,
etc.*

*2)       *Developing & supporting new foreign language and international
programming, instructional technologies and resources

$E1         *e.g. developing new language tandem programs, administering &
advancing foreign language study abroad programs, developing online  and
instructional templates, etc.*

*3)       *Assessment & management of existing programming, technologies and
resources

$E1         *e.g. supervising and assessing the efficacy of CSLC foreign
language peer tutoring programs, reviewing and maintenance of instructional
hardware/software systems, review and management of CSLC library and
cataloging systems, etc.*

*PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS*

A competitive candidate should hold EITHER: 1) An M.A., Ed.D or PhD in
applied linguistics, second language acquisition, TESOL or a closely related
field with training in computer-assisted language learning and similar
educational technology applications; or 2) an M.A., Ed.D or PhD in
educational technology with a relevant foreign/second language emphasis.

In addition, a strong candidate should have significant professional
experience in EITHER: 1) teaching foreign/second language in a
post-secondary setting; or 2) working in an educational technology capacity
with clear relevance to language technology initiatives.  Candidates who
have both foreign/second language teaching experience and educational
technology experience are preferred.

Individuals with alternative educational qualifications and/or professional
profiles who believe that they would nonetheless make compelling candidates
for this position will also be considered and are encouraged to apply.

Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.  This
position comes with full Notre Dame benefits: http://hr.nd.edu/benefits.

*APPLICATION PROCESS*

To apply for this position, please send the following materials to Dr. Lance
Askildson, Director of the Center for the Study of Languages & Cultures:

1)       A curriculum vitae

2)       The names and contact information for three professional references

3)       A cover letter indicating why you are interested in applying for
this position and why you would make a compelling candidate

4)       ****Optional*: Evidence of excellence in foreign/second language
teaching and/or educational technology.
*e.g. teaching/performance evaluations, teaching or training videos, digital
portfolios, websites, blogs or educational technology projects, etc.*

Electronic applications are preferred and should be sent directly to
[log in to unmask]  If materials cannot be sent electronically, they should
be mailed to:

Lance Askildson, PhD
Center for the Study of Languages & Cultures
329 DeBartolo Hall

Notre Dame, IN 46556

Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.  The anticipated start date for this position is August
1, 2010.

*ABOUT THE CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF LANGUAGES & CULTURES
*

The Center for the Study of Languages & Cultures is an innovative facility
dedicated to supporting foreign language and cultural acquisition through
strategic planning, interactive programming, technology-enhanced learning
and study abroad immersion.

The CSLC collaborates closely with scholars and practitioners across a wide
range of departments, institutes, and affiliate institutions as it also
fosters discourse and coordination among these entities through targeted
resources and programming, coursework and summer language study abroad
programs.

CSLC facilities, programming, and faculty are informed by interdisciplinary
foci as well as an overarching commitment to developing critical inquiry via
multiple literacies in language and culture.  To learn more, please visit
our website at http://cslc.nd.edu/

*ABOUT NOTRE DAME*

The University of Notre Dame is an independent, national Catholic university
located in Notre Dame, IN., adjacent to the city of South Bend and
approximately 90 miles east of Chicago.  Notre Dame consistently ranks among
the top 20 national universities according to US News & World Report. With
1,250 acres containing two lakes, Notre Dame is well known for the quality
of its educational programs and the beauty of its campus.

The University of Notre Dame is committed to diversity in its staff,
faculty, and student body. As such, we strongly encourage applications from
those attracted to working at a Catholic university, members of minority
groups, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and others who will
enhance our community. The University of Notre Dame is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer

*ABOUT THE REGION*

South Bend, IN was recently named the best city in the nation for home price
and value.  Cost of living estimates for the South Bend / Michiana region
are among the most affordable in the country and Chicago is an easy 90
minutes by car or train.  See how you can enjoy the advantages of life in a
livable, affordable environment while working at one of the best
post-secondary institutions in the country.  Learn more at
http://hr.nd.edu/why-nd/community-connections.

Lance R. Askildson, PhD
Director, Center for the Study of Languages & Cultures
Associate Professor of the Practice, Second Language Acquisition
Fellow, Nanovic Institute for European Studies
Secretary, International Association of Language Learning Technology
Co-Editor, Intl Association of Language Learning Technology Journal
College of Arts & Letters, University of Notre Dame
Phone: (574) 631-5881  Web: http://askildson.org