LLTI Archives

May 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 20:11:23 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Stacey Powell" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:10:40 -0500
>From: "Stacey Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Award for Excellence in FL Instruction Using Technology

Greetings fellow IALLTers,

As your IALLT Programs Director, I have the privilege of serving as
Co-Chair of the "ACTFL/Cengage Learning Faculty Development Programs
Award for Excellence in Foreign Language Instruction Using Technology
with IALLT" committee.  That is quite a mouthful, but the important
thing for you to know is that IALLT has a part in selecting the
recipient of these two annual awards that are presented at the ACTFL
Convention to post-secondary educators.  I would love to see nominations
of IALLT members or faculty members who you support.  There are
extremely specific application instructions on the ACTFL website, or
contact me off list and I will be happy to save you some trouble and
send them to you directly.

DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: May 28, 2010

Stacey L. Powell
Director, Foreign Language Multimedia Center
College of Liberal Arts
Auburn University

Programs Director, IALLT

334-844-6381

Here is some more information from the ACTFL website about the awards:

The ACTFL/Faculty Development Programs of Cengage Learning Awards are
presented annually to recognize excellence in the integration and use of
technology in foreign language instruction at the post-secondary level.
These awards are the outgrowth of collaboration between ACTFL and the
Faculty Development Programs of Cengage Learning, with the International
Association for Language Learning Technology (IALLT).

These awards are supported by the generosity of the Cengage Learning.
The recipients each receive a $500 cash award provided by the Cengage
Learning.

Criteria for Selection
1)	Two awards may be made annually:
a)	one to a foreign language educator at the two-year/community
college level, and
b)	one to a foreign language educator at the four-year/university
level.
2)	Both classroom teachers and administrators are eligible for the
award.
3)	The recipient must be a current ACTFL member and have been a
member for at least the last three years.
4)	The recipients must have a minimum of five years$E2Ao teaching
experience.
5)	The recipients must submit evidence of how they have integrated
the use of technology into their foreign language courses. Evidence
should include objectives and specific strategies using technology that
contribute to the attainment of the course goals within the framework of
the National Standards for Foreign Languages. Supporting documentation
may include letters from students, colleagues, school or institutional
officers, and student course evaluations. This documentation may be
submitted via a multimedia presentation, i.e., Power Point, a short
video, a website, etc.

Procedures for Nominations
1)	Self-nominations are permitted and must be accompanied by a
letter of support from the instructor$E2Aos school or institutional
officer.
2)	The COVER SHEET found at the end of this section MUST be the
first page in the nomination dossier.
3)	Include the following items in the nominating dossier (in
order):
a)	Nominating cover letter from the school or institution, or in
the case of self-nominations by instructors, a nominating letter from an
officer of the school or institution.
b)	Curriculum vitae of the candidate (length must not exceed 10
pages).
c)	Evidence of the use of technology in the course, including a
rationale for the use of technology and how its use helped students
attain the goals of the course.
d)	Three (3) letters of support clearly explaining the rationale
for the choice of this candidate.
e)	Other documentation, e.g., student course evaluations, copies of
newspaper articles or other materials, as appropriate.
4)	Nominations must be sent directly to the Chairperson of this
award committee by the deadline.
5)	No member of the ACTFL Board of Directors or Officer may write a
letter of support for any award nominee or actively shepherd the
nomination of an award candidate.  If a dossier packet is resubmitted
that contains a support letter written prior to the establishment of
these guidelines, that letter will be removed from the packet by the
Committee Chair.
6)	No member of the ACTFL Board of Directors, Officer, or
contracted employee is eligible for nomination for any award while
holding these positions.

IMPORTANT
Nominations in excess of fifteen (15) pages (excluding the curriculum
vitae) will not be accepted.  This includes nominations submitted on CD
or through other electronic means. Nominations must not be longer than
15 pages when printed. The nominating dossier must not be stapled,
placed in scrapbooks, etc., or attached in any manner other than an
elastic band or a large office clamp. This will facilitate the
duplication of the dossier and its circulation to members of the
selection committee. If a multimedia presentation is the medium chosen
for submission of evidence, five (5) copies must be provided whose
length does not exceed five (5) minutes.