LLTI Archives

April 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:14:04 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Ramsdell, Lee" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #9390 language lab systems language lab systems
>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:47:59 -0600
>From: "Ramsdell, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

There are very few language labs available. Sanako has a number of different
language labs available with various options. They have been in business for
over 40 years and have a number of products.  Go to
http://www.sanako.com/Home.iw3 to view their products.

Sans is another system and that system is based on the Sony Language Lab design'
Go to http://www.sansinc.com/ to view their products.

Another manufacture is Robotel and their web site is
http://www.robotel.com/en/language_lab_solutions.php

As mentioned Can* is another manufacture and their web site is
http://www.can8.com/

 To Determine what language lab is the best one is not so easy.  It very much
depends on what it is one intends to do with it.  A language lab should have  a
media player/recorder so that students and instructors can play high quality
audio and video files and record their  In order to be effective, there should
be an intercom system that allows the instructor to speak to all of the students
at once, or individual students.  The last feature that is quite important is a
supervisor system so that the instructor can take control of student work
station.  As well, the sytem should allow for work in both the spoken and
written form.

Two other items to consider is one of head phones and the other of how the audio
is distributed.  If the system uses VOIP, there will be delays and the more the
network is used, the longer the delays.  Some systems use a separate audio and
there is no latency with such systems.  Some systems are scalable so that  you
do not have to buy all the features initially should there be budget issues.

The use of high quality headsets is an issue that many intuitions do not
consider to be important, however it is.  Cheap headsets do not last and will be
problematic.

We have one sytem that is VIOP, one that has a separate audio channel.  While
the separate audio channel system is preferred, the VIOP based unit is not
really an issue once the users get accustomed to it.  It is less expensive to
purchase and install.

We have used various headsets over the years and the only type that we recommend
is the MB Quart 800K.  We have used these for over 20 years and still have all
of the original units in service.  We have a total of 152 stations and all that
is done with the MQB Quart headsets is to disinfect the ear pads and replace the
ear pads when they wear out.  Should there be additional questions I can be
contacted, my coordinates are listed in the signature below.

Lee Ramsdell, Technical Supervisor
Arts Resource Centre
Room 130 - A1, Arts Building

Phone    780-492-3544