LLTI Archives

April 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:52:58 -0400
Hi Alison,

While it's not free, Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader) is installed on all
our campus lab computers and on select office stations, so I've been using
Adobe Acrobat v.8 to do OCR on Japanese files. I've trained the faculty to
batch scan them on our networked copier at 35 ppm to a remote folder and
then OCR and share from there. Our faculty is pleased with the resulting
speed and accuracy. I checked just now and Simplified and Traditional
Chinese (Korean, too) are listed as language options for OCR. You'll find
the settings under the Document menu | OCR Text Recognition and then Edit
the options there. I haven't noticed an accuracy difference between v.8 and
9. It should be part of Adobe CS3 if you have that tool suite. You can
install a 30-day trial version to see if it meets your needs from
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/  My campus has an agreement
through journeyed.com to get Acrobat Standard for less than $70. I believe
MSRP is $499. If you get funds to purchase, I think the upgrade to Acrobat
Pro Extended (Win only) is worth the additional cost. It has a great range
of tools for converting PPT files to web-friendly formats and strong
potential for portfolio assessment and aggregation of student work.

Gus
__________________________________
"The identity of the university will be framed by substantive commitment to
multilingual, multicultural, gender-equitable learning...[and] will invest
in preparation for the future through integrated and experimental use of
technologies as resources to people, catalysts for learning, and providers
of increased access and enriched quality learning."
CSUMB Vision Statement http://csumb.edu/site/x11547.xml
_____
Gus Leonard, Language Laboratory Coordinator
School of World Languages & Cultures *  Building 48, Room119 * California
State University, Monterey Bay
Email: [log in to unmask] * Phone: (831) 582-4446 * Web:
http://wlc.csumb.edu
Note:  Upcoming Campus Budget Furlough/Holiday Closure Dates
Administrative Furlough: April 23, May 7 & 28 and June 11 & 25.
Memorial Day May 31