LLTI Archives

April 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 20:35:13 -0400
LLTI  list, greetings,

I am (a little too) excited to announce that I will be teaching a new
distance learning Japanese course for the University of Alabama at
Birmingham starting this fall semester on August 17, 2010. Some of you
may know me from Irasshai, the Japanese course I made for Georgia Public
Broadcasting. This new program we're calling Tim Sensei's NihongoCast,
the stage name for Japanese 101, the online version. One of the most
exciting things about this for me is that the course is a collaborative
effort between our Departments of Foreign Languages and Literatures,
Communication Studies, and Theatre, and everyone involved is as crazy
committed to it as I.

Although NihongoCast is a university-credit course, high school students
are also welcome. We can't promise that Japanese will be easy, but we
can promise that it will be fun.

One of the differences with Irasshai is that NihongoCast will be live
and interactive through Skype. Voice interaction with me and my
on-camera troupe, plus weekly off-camera interaction will require
students to commit to a set schedule in a way that contradicts some of
the anytime-anywhere rationale for distance learning, but ensures that
students are speaking the language. If you have students in your
institution interested in Japanese, anything you can do to facilitate
their participation in this course is most appreciated. In this first
semester of the course offering, enrollment is capped at 50 students.

For more information, visit
www.uab.edu/foreignlang/nihongocast/index.htm.

Thank you for your interest.

Tim Cook

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Timothy M. Cook, PhD

Distance Learning Japanese Instructor

Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures

University of Alabama at Birmingham

Mailing Address

HB 407

1530 3rd Ave S