LLTI Archives

April 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:48:00 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

I know a number of places that are adopting the Promethian interactive
whiteboard these days. I believe it runs all things digitally whereas
Smart has some analog features still but don't quote me on that.

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin
618 Van Hise Hall
1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI  53706

608-262-4066 (voice)
608-265-3892 (fax)
http://www.uwosh.edu/programs/clp/

(2) from [log in to unmask]

Dear Chris,
I teach French in a high school in CT. After being inspired by a NERALLT
workshop a number of years ago on "smartboards," I pressured my school into
getting me the first one in the school... (we now have lots more.) Although at
the time I preferred SMART Tech (a real company) for their version of the
"smartboard" (has become a generic word like "kleenex"...), our school
board of
ed. went with the Polyvision company. Well, I got quickly used to this
company's
version and I have never looked back. At the very least I use it every
day even
just as my digital surface (writing with the "light" from the
computer), rather
than the chalk&black board or marker&whiteboard of old and MUCH prefer it to
those very old techs. But I invariably incorporate documents, powerpoints,
websites (interactive or not) into my presentations or classwork, or
even bring
up student docs on the screen. There are countless tricks to learn and
software
to use with different companies' boards so that you can have graphs and
science
doodads and much more at your finger tips. But to me it is really a window on
your world and worth having. Besides, you also thus have a big screen that
illuminates films wonderfully and also useful for video conferencing. I have
learned lots of tech tricks to use with it, but as I said, at its very basic,
it is soooo handy and is an extension of my hand in the classroom. I
feel quite
bereft when on a rare occasion there is some power glitch that prevents
me from
using it. I'd be interested in what others say.

Oh- and our board is a large one, but you can get a desk-top size glass screen
that you write on from your podium so you can annotate a lecture, but I
prefere
the big screen in front of the class so students can come up and touch
it, draw,
and work on it. There are flat table top versions so you can gather a group
around a table and look down upon it, and of course there are things to
consider like the back-lit versions so you do not need an LCD projector, but
all in all, it's still my number one technology along with my computer and my
hand in the class. I could not live without it.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Emily Wentworth
Trumbull High School & Yale University

(3) from  "Sarah Withee" <[log in to unmask]

You might want to take a look at the Mimio.  It allows you to convert an
existing whiteboard into a smart board.  It comes with software that is
almost identical to the smart notebook software, and it's a lot less
expensive than a smartboard. We do not have one, but I saw it demonstrated
at the Colorado Congress of Foreign Language Teachers conference and
shortly thereafter got a phone call from the vendor to set up a
demonstration on campus. We are currently not in the market for a new
smart board, but if we do get any requests for one, we'll definitely be
looking at the Mimio.

Sarah

Sarah Withee
Instructional Technologist
Colorado College
(719) 389-6381

(4) from "Lee Howell" <[log in to unmask]>

We use SMARTboards extensively on our campus in Pre-K-MS.
Slowly our Upper School teachers are beginning to use them with their PowerPoint
presentations using the ink aware software to annotate their slides.

I highly recommend visiting a classroom that has a SMARTboard for some hands-on
experience.

Lee Howell
Technology Integration
A-21