LLTI Archives

April 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:13:10 -0400
(1) from "Rodriguez, Jose C" <[log in to unmask]> ---

Laura - last year I took a Foundations in Linguistics class here at Emory and we
used this software for assignments and some quizzes. It is indispensable for
analyzing linguistic utterances and phonetics, though not particularly
intuitive. If it is being used by a class and the professor plans on instructing
students on the proper use, it will probably be fine. It is a very small install
- I ran it on a Mac, running OSX Leopard (at the time) and it worked fine
without any glitches. You might do a little searching on linguist sites or
listserv archives and see if you can find out more.

Jose

(2) from  Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]>

Praat is an incredibly useful program. I highly recommend it.

I used it for my dissertation research. It can do acoustical analysis, speech
synthesis, formant extraction, graphing, and much more. The interface is a bit
clunky, and can be a little quirky, but the program itself is stable, never
caused me any troubles.

Praat is part of the standard installation in several computer labs at Michigan
State. I haven't heard of any problems with the program.

Hope this helps.

(3) from  "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]>

Nice little program--totally uninvasive. The linguists and phonetics teachers
like to use it. It does what it is supposed to do and doesn't try to do anything
else.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida