LLTI Archives

March 2010, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:10:55 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Subject: Re: #9376 Mango, Powerspeak
>Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:01:01 -0400

Alison,
I have never used Mango or Powerspeak?  Have you looked at www.livemocha.com
?  Personally I like this site for 2 reasons:  a) students produce
more independent language (instead of rote language) and b) it is
free.  The way it works is that users become critics of the language
produced by other users who are studying their first language.  So
learner A will go through some rote learning & some chug&plug
exercises, and then he/she will record a pronunciation exercise or
write a short composition using the language learned.  Learners B, C,
& D (who are native speakers of the language learner A is studying)
will critique learner A's recording/writing.  Users can also "friend"
one another and enter into pen-pal communications either through the
discussion board or they can use other tools like Skype to talk.

It does mean a commitment on the part of each learner to help others
with their language learning in turn, but in return it offers a real
person to talk to, exchange cultural ideas, and practice real language
production.

Regards,
Deanne

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo