LLTI Archives

March 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:16:42 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Dick Feldman <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Upload student video
>From: Dick Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:34:14 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Hi,
We have a French class that has students upload short videos for practice in
expression.  We had been using a set of accounts I made in YouTube for this, but
now YouTube is giving trouble due to its connection with Google ("Your account
is permanently suspended" and "Your YouTube account and Google account are now
connected, so soon you'll need to sign in with your existing username and your
Google Account Password.  You'll no longer be able to sign in with your YouTube
password.")  This is not going to work, as Cornell, as well as most of its
students themselves, is enmeshed with Google.
Does anyone know of a more academically oriented YouTube-like service that this
class could use?  We are not prepared to run a Flash server to do this
ourselves.  If we could be sure these student videos were all nicely compressed
QTs we could do it on our own server, but this is not the case.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Dick Feldman, Director
LRC, Cornell University