LLTI Archives

March 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:16:26 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "SUBSCRIBE LLTI John H. Graves" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>Date:         Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:14:42 -0500
>From: "SUBSCRIBE LLTI John H. Graves" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Call for Proposals Deadline Extended to 3/8:NERALLT Spring 2010
>To: [log in to unmask]

CALL FOR PROPOSALS EXTENDED!!

The New England Regional Association for Language Learning Technology Spring
2010 Conference, Boston University, April 16th, 2010

LANGUAGE LEARNING ON A SHOE STRING: SUPPORTING FOREIGN LANGUAGE LEARNERS ON
A TIGHT BUDGET

Each week, across the country, the media publishes stories about the current
economic downturn and its adverse effects on the financial standing of many
colleges and universities. Reductions in budgets and/or staffing often place
faculty and staff in the challenging position of supporting learner while
managing more work that needs to be done in less time with fewer resources.
This trend has forced many supporters of language learning to rethink how we
can continue to provide a wide variety of resources and programs with
limited time and funds.

In response, the New England Regional Association for Language Learning
Technology will devote its Spring meeting to exploring and showcasing ideas
for creative solutions that deliver language learning opportunities and
resources in these hard economic times. The conference will be hosted by
Boston University on April 16, 2010. We invite proposals for papers, panels,
and posters focusing on productive responses to new challenges in supporting
foreign language learning and instruction.

Suggested topics include:
    * Using freeware and open source software to replace costly licensed
       software.
    * Bringing in outside speakers via web conferencing.
    * Using technology to bring culture into the classroom when study abroad is
       not possible.
    * Making the time for ongoing assessment of students' language proficiency
       using technology.
    * Optimizing efficiency by utilizing services such as course management
       systems, self-paced tutorials, Web 2.0 technology to create out-of-class
       learning opportunities
    * Adopting effective techniques for tracking language resource usage by
       faculty and learners to target efforts.
    * Applying for additional funding sources to support language resources at
       your institution.
    * Implementing green-computing (desktop virtualization, power management,
       paperless classroom, thin clients/IT initiatives).
    * Fostering inter-departmental and/or inter-institutional partnerships to
      develop resources and extend services.
    * Re-imagining collaboration between classroom faculty and organizers for
       various campus venues to optimize access to resources and media sources.

Proposals can be submitted for 30-45 minute presentations or demonstrations,
45-60 minute panel discussions, 25-minute posters, or 3-hour pre-conference
workshops. We welcome a variety of perspectives and encourage presentations
that report on ongoing projects or research.

Please submit your proposals to Michelle Cheyne ([log in to unmask])

For more information, please contact: Michelle Cheyne ([log in to unmask])
or John Graves ([log in to unmask] )

Proposal deadline extended to: Monday, March 8, 2010 by 5:00 pm
Notification of acceptance: Monday, March 15, 2010