LLTI Archives

February 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:02:20 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 00:15:40 -0500
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9342 International TV Servers

Frank,

Have you investigated Free-to-Air (FTA) satellite signals? We were
left with a couple of satellite TV receivers from Globe Cast when
they stopped providing services for certain languages. The receivers
(with their corresponding satellite dish) were left to gather dust in
our rack, unused for a year or so until I came on board and
reactivated them as FTA receivers.

The FTA signals have a mixture of government channels, religious
channels, and news channels. You can find a good list at:
http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

We found that a lot of the free channels for Arabic, Chinese, and
Russian are on Galaxy 19 (which also has paid Scola channels), with a
few Spanish on Galaxy 28 and AMC6. Our satellite dish was already
pointing in the right direction for Galaxy 19, so we only had to
configure the receivers, download the latest programs, and tune in
the receivers to the channels we wanted from the available free offers.

You can find more information about GlobeCast here:
http://www.globecastwtv.com/America/WhatsOnWTV/FreeToAirOnly.aspx

And here's a good place to get started, including prices of FTA
packages (receiver, dish, etc.):
http://www.ftadirect.com/

Regards,

Roberto Perez Galluccio, PhD