LLTI Archives

February 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:02:34 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Gavin Ng <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:08:07 -0500
>From: Gavin Ng <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Prof Don Hinkelman's WebSwami Review (moodle.org)
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: Gavin Ng <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Everyone,

We$E2d like to share with you a recent review of WebSwami by Professor Don
Hinkelman, Associate Professor of Sapporo Gakuin University and Moderator,
Moodle for Language Teaching Community:

 $E3This is the most innovative language learning module for Moodle on the
market now. It generated instant excitement among teachers who were hungry
for tools that enhance oral communication. Too much of CALL software and
most LMS modules just deal with written communication. It is also the most
well-refined interface and smoothly operating web-learning tool I have
experienced.$E4

The full review is copied below this message, and you can also read the
original on the message board here [
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=132135 ] $F6 just below our original
posting. Just click $E3Login as a guest$E4 if you do not have a Moodle account.
Thanks to Professor Hinkelman for summing WebSwami up so well $F6 if you$E2ve
had difficulty grasping the $E3essence$E4 of the system then certainly this
review will be of help.

Remember, if you don$E2t currently use Moodle and would like to use WebSwami
then we can install this fastest-growing and open source LMS for you for
free or talk to you about integrating with your current LMS.

Please drop us a line at [log in to unmask] if you$E2d like to arrange an
online demo to assess WebSwami$E2s suitability for your needs.

Best regards,

Peter Day
Director, WebSwami
www.webswami.com

From Professor Don Hinkelman:

Thank you very for providing information on the release of WebSwami and its
potential as a video-recording plugin for Moodle. Recently, I had a chance
to participate in a demonstration of WebSwami and was very pleased to see
how easy it worked on our standard equipment. Myself and several members of
our EFL teaching faculty at Sapporo Gakuin University were so impressed, we
decided to apply for a budget to use WebSwami during our 2010 school year.
Even if we do not get that request approved, we may take you up on your
offer of a student-paid hosted plan. For those of you who are considering
WebSwami, here is a brief review of its strengths and weaknesses from a
pedagogic and administrative point of view.

---------------------------------------
Review of WebSwami for the Moodle LMS
---------------------------------------
WebSwami is a video-recording and assessment management tool for web-based
learning management systems. It is a commercial plugin for Moodle 1.9 that
is available as either a site license for your school's Moodle server or as
a per-student hosted service. It is particularly optimized for second
language learning but it could be used for any purpose with video-recording
of student learning activities/projects.

Strengths
=========
    1) Over ten different speaking activities--new ones I have never seen
before. For example, video-matching (listen to video-recordings and match
them to other recordings). Also, students can record themselves speaking
alone or in pairs and submit that as an assignment.
    2) Teacher recordings are easy. I can make a video podcast in seconds
and have it broadcast to all the students in the class. As easy as sending a
forum post.
    3) The teacher feedback screen is incredibly easy. You can give
individual coaching and feedback to students with a point-and-click
interface. I do lots of recording of student speeches but never actually
upload, assess and return them to students because of the time-consuming
management required with digital cameras/camcorders. WebSwami cuts the time
factor for handling and assessing each student to seconds, not minutes. I
estimate it is 20x or 30x faster than manual handling of files.
    4) Students' faces are clearly recorded, so the non-verbal aspects of
communication can be judged.
    5) Recording quality was excellent. It works on standard webcams and
microphones. I tested it on our low resolution, US$20 Buffalo webcams and
experienced no problems. Not HD quality, but we don't need that.
    6) Server software cost is low if you install on your own server (using
Wowza--an alternative to the expensive Flash Media Server)
    7) Hardware costs are low. No special CALL equipment--just a computer
with internet. For a 25 seat blended learning room (25 desk/chairs, 25
networked computers along the wall), it cost us US$750 to add standard
webcams and microphones.

Concerns
========
    1) Requires thoughtful re-design of your courses to include more
speaking activities (actually this is an advantage, but teacher time to
re-design will be necessary initially)
    2) For classroom-based activities a blended learning space (computers in
your classroom) or a computer laboratory with webcams and microphones are
necessary. Otherwise, students can access the site 24/7 from home and make
recordings whenever convenient for them.
    3) Teacher training is necessary. I estimate about a two hour session
will orient teachers to all the possible functions of WebSwami.

Overall Assessment
==================
    * This is the most innovative language learning module for Moodle on the
market now. It generated instant excitement among teachers who were hungry
for tools that enhance oral communication. Too much of CALL software and
most LMS modules just deal with written communication. It is also the most
well-refined interface and smoothly operating web-learning tool I have
experienced.

With my strongest recommendation,

Don Hinkelman
Associate Professor, Sapporo Gakuin University
Moderator, Moodle for Language Teaching Community