LLTI Archives

February 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:06:08 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:20:30 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #9337.1 eSAM / Quia

> We use Pearson's MySpanishLab with Atando Cabos and we don't like
> it.  We plan to switch to QUIA in the fall.

We've had something of the opposite experience.  The Quia
implementation for our previous Spanish textbook was very unpopular,
and bug or content error fixes were slow in coming.  MySpanishLab
with the Mosaicos textbook has been more pleasing with TAs and
students, and has created fewer problems for us.  We have gotten good
support from Pearson staff, which is not to say that all problems get
solved nor feature requests implemented.

Neither Quia nor MySpanishLab offer the same learning experience with
all textbooks.  I suspect that there are more variations with Quia,
since materials can come from entirely different publishers.

I, too, think it is odd that MySpanishLab doesn't support Firefox.
They also don't officially support Mac 10.6.2 Snow Leopard for the
Spring 2010 semester, even though it was released before the Fall
2009 semester.  On the other hand, we have been using Snow Leopard
without problems, so the lack of official support hasn't been
crippling.

I guess the main advice that I would give is to get every promise
relating to online materials in writing from any company.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100