LLTI Archives

February 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:57:31 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Erica Andree <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:52:12 -0500
>From: Erica Andree <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9342 International TV Servers
>To: [log in to unmask]

We purchased a VuNow device by Verismo [http://www.verismonetworks.com/] as an
interim solution for a new language center.  I do not recommend this device.

Pros:
-Inexpensive ($129)
-Many channels available.
-No subscription fees.
-provides limited internet access without need for computer.

Cons:
-No functional channel guide.
-No program guide to help find programs.
-Few available channels are "real" broadcast channels recognizable to language
faculty.
No Japanese.
-Channels are added and dropped without notice.
-Most included channels are already available freely on the web.
-No built in way to record programming for future classroom use.
-Realtime broadcast usually means low-value, after-hours programming  from
Europe or
Asia during prime teaching time.
-Additional YouTube and Website browsing is of little value since the theater
already has
computer and internet access.

Erica Andree
Director of Center for Languages and International Collaboration
Pacific University | 2043 College Way | Forest Grove, OR 97116
Office: 503.352.1607 | CLIC: 503.352.1608  | [log in to unmask]