LLTI Archives

February 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:24:29 -0500
Speak of the....

I'm in a group that is currently conducting a descriptive study of CALL
journals (IALLTJ, CALICOJ, CALL, LLT...etc.) over the past 5-10 years. We
have had no issue acquiring any of the journals via our library or personal
reserves...except ReCALL. Budgets (institutional AND personal) are tight, so
no direct subscriptions are likely. ILL is happy to help...until they see
the magnitude of our request for ReCALL. They have no way to access the
articles electronically without killing their budget, and (apparently) there
are so few institutions that actually CARRY the physical copies that we've
not had success getting them here, or we have had to expend more than our
fair share of political capital to get a hold of an issue here and there.

I am open to any ingenuity that overcomes my myopia on this issue, or a kind
IALLT soul that also belongs to EUROCALL that could pull some strings and
get us access to the data we need to look at....

It seems silly to me to have a study of this type that doesn't include
ReCALL simply because of restricted access......

doug

Douglas W. Canfield
Coordinator III, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Languages & Literatures
University of Tennessee
Co-Editor in Chief, The IALLT Journal
http://web.utk.edu/~dcanfie1/
Skype: dougcanfield