LLTI Archives

February 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:17:08 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Stacey Powell" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:36:33 -0600
>From: "Stacey Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: IALLT sessions/workshop at ACTFL

Dear IALLTers,

As the IALLT affiliate representative to ACTFL and IALLT Programs
Director, I would like to announce the call for proposals to present
IALLT-sponsored sessions at ACTFL
2010. The theme of this year's convention, to be held November 18-21,
2010 at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston, MA, is 'Languages:
Gateway to Global Communities.'
We have three sponsored 60 minute sessions and one 3 hour workshop
slot.  Submissions will be accepted from current members of IALLT only.
You also must be available to present on any day of the conference as we
cannot request specific presentation slots.  Workshops will take place
either Nov. 18 or Nov. 21.

Please carefully follow the ACTFL Submission Guidelines that I have
included below and submit your proposal to me by Friday, February 19.

By the way, IALLT is also looking for someone to assist me as IALLT
Affiliate Representative to ACTFL since my wonderful partner in crime
for the past few years had to step down (I miss you, Georges!).  Please
let me know if you are interested.

Thank you, and I look forward to getting your submissions!

Stacey Powell
Director, Foreign Language Multimedia Center
Auburn University
Auburn, AL
Ph 334.844.6381

2010 ACTFL Submission Guidelines and Recommendations

Workshops (3 hours)
Workshops will be held on Thursday and on Sunday morning of the
convention for 3-hours. Workshops are designed to be interactive and
delve into a topic more deeply than a 60-minute session allows. Workshop
proposals should describe specific planned activities and a detailed
time schedule for each segment of the workshop. Only a limited number of
workshop proposals are accepted each year and attendees pay an
additional fee to attend.

Sessions (60 minutes)
Sessions are limited to four presenters and should address a topic of
interest to attendees. Sessions are 60 minutes in length. Presenters
should avoid reading papers and/or study results, but instead, share
valuable information and skills in an engaging format.

You must include all the information requested for your submission to
be considered.

TITLE: The title of the proposal cannot be more than 10 words in
length.

PROFESSIONAL LEARNING STRANDS: Those submitting workshops and sessions
are asked to consider into which professional learning strand your
proposal will fit best.

--INSTRUCTION: Effective instructional practice leads to increased
language development and cultural understanding and meets the needs of
all students in the language classroom. Integrating technology
innovations into instruction is vital to a 21st Century learning
environment. Various program models and curriculum designs are featured
in this category from elementary program dual language, immersion, and
FLES, to higher education programs that focus on advanced language
proficiency.
--THE LEARNER: Twenty-first century skills include creativity,
innovation, critical thinking, problem solving, and collaboration. This
strand focuses on strategies for helping our language learners to
acquire these skills as an integral part of their language learning
experiences. Included are ways to differentiate instruction so that the
individual needs of language learners might be addressed.
--ASSESSMENT: In this age of accountability, program effectiveness is
assessed by examining student outcomes and making data-driven decisions
about program changes.
--PROFESSIONALISM: Building the language capacity of the U.S. is an
ongoing challenge that requires effective policies, local and national
advocacy efforts, and matching U.S. student performance against
international benchmarks. Developing effective teachers and effective
teacher leaders and mentors is also a critical component of our
profession.
--RESEARCH: Effective research studies are needed to inform practice
and program development as well as action research derived from
classroom teacher action research.
--CULTURE: From study abroad to having students understand the
relationship among the perspectives, practices, and products of the
target culture(s), culture is an inextricable component of language
teaching. Literature and the Arts play a key role in quality language
programs that lead to increased cultural knowledge and understanding.
--TECHNOLOGY: While technology is embedded in all 21st Century
classroom activities, this strand focuses on specific cutting edge
technologies that promote language development and cultural
understanding including social networking and global communities.

AUDIENCE: You must indicate the intended audience to which your
presentation is most appropriate. The choices are Pre-K $E2Ai 5, Grades
6-12, Higher Education, Administration, or All. Only one category can be
selected.

CONTENT: Strong content must show depth, originality and/or insight
into your topic in a maximum of 150 words. The content of your proposed
presentation must be very clear, specific and detailed. It must align
with the keyword you selected and describe specific knowledge and skills
and/or improvement in teaching/learning that can occur. The content must
be appropriate for the allotted time. This section is to be completed
only for sessions, papers and posters.

METHODS: The methods section must indicate how information will be
shared with the audience in a maximum of 150 words. Your presentational
modes must be specifically identified and appear highly engaging. High
participant involvement is expected. This section is to be completed
only for sessions, papers and posters.

OUTLINE: This section is to be completed only for workshop submissions.
You must include an outline of your proposed workshop agenda. This
should include time frames for each topic addressed or activity
performed during the workshop period.

OUTCOMES AND BENEFITS: This section is to be completed only for
workshop submissions.

PRESENTER(S): Be sure that your presenter information is current $E2Ai
email address, affiliation (school/company), address, etc

LANGUAGES: Your next step will be to indicate the language of your
presentation and to what language your session is most applicable. ACTFL
is interested in $E2Aulanguage-specific$E2Au sessions as well as those
applicable to all languages. Please indicate whether your session is
primarily specific to a certain language or appropriate to general
audiences.