LLTI Archives

February 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 04:15:55 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:30:11 -0600
>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9329 Desire 2 Learn
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

UW System currently has adopted D2L as our course management system.
The unicode compliance issues we had, have improved. Our Chinese,
Japanese, Arabic and Russian instructors are able to post
announcements in the target language. That said, it is a course
management system and we use it for managing courses and their content
but not for the interactivity that we get out of other tools. It is a
place holder for grades and links to other tools that we use such as
wimba, wikis, etc. We have yet to find a good way to integrate these
systems as D2L doesn't play particularly nicely with most outside
vendors. So, in our case, students login to D2L, link from there out
to other tools that require them to login again, etc. As long as we
prewarn the students of this, they don't seem to bothered by multiple
logins. D2L does allow for instructors to do their grading and can be
upload to our central grading system that later generates reports such
as transcripts and so forth. So that was integrated. Frankly for
actual courses interaction, we don't really use it. Just for
"management" of content as a one stop shop for students to get the
full picture of the course and download documents.

Hopefully others out there are actually using it for course
interaction and can speak to that element a bit more.

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin
618 Van Hise Hall