LLTI Archives

January 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:05:25 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Subject: mind mapping and essay writing
>Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:08:08 -0500

I am wondering if anyone has ever worked with mind mapping tools
(e.g., Mind42, Cmap Tools, Mayomi, Bubble.us) with students for
collaborative development of ideas for essays/presentations.
Specifically I am wondering:
a) what kind of training you found your students needed - did they
primarily struggle with the technology or the concept?
b) what kind of examples did you give them of it in practice? and did
you develop a simple one together?
c) documentation for getting them started
d) student reactions to its use; and,
e) whether you felt it assisted in the development of critical
thinking skills or not.

I am looking at introducing this as a tool to a literature class, with
a focus on the charting of character development throughout the novel
and the influences on the development and change of characters'
perspectives.

Regards,
Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo