LLTI Archives

January 2010, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:15:05 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Edmund Dente <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:46:59 -0500
>Subject: Re: #9316.4 (!) Repair of broken video tape
>From: Edmund Dente <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Thanks to all who wrote in to suggest self-repair and commercial
approaches. I, and my colleague, really appreciate it. Over the years
I tried a few such self-repairs, but I never felt it was something I
would suggest to someone with a valuable, family history video. Now
give me an open reel tape from a Dial Access Language Lab rack that
needs splicing, repair or editing, and it's a different story. At one
point I could do those in my sleep. I imagine there are still some
drying up old splice tabs lying around in a corner in my old language
lab office. Fortunately, audio and video cassette labs never required
one to splice on that foot or so of clear leader that the open reel
labs required.

And, speaking of that article about obsolete technology, let me just
say that they'll get that old Wollensak T-1500  away from me when they
pry my cold fingers away from the PLAY button!.
(Remember them?  http://www.retrothing.com/2006/09/3m_wollensak_t1.html   )

Best,
Ed
RULE NO. 214: Really, there is no need to valet park at the mall.
RULE NO. 128: No better cold exists than the cold of a can of beer
that has been cooled by the rushing waters of a numbing stream.