LLTI Archives

January 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:31:01 -0500
We've been repairing our own VHS cassettes for years (not that it happens all
THAT often).  The first time we had a tape detach, I took the lid off a cassette
that I didn't care about to see how it worked (and especially how the tape was
threaded) and then took the one I wanted to save apart, threaded the tape back
through the front of the cassette, used some splicing tape to reattach it to the
spool (lately, of course we just use regular tape) and screwed the cassette back
together.  Unless it's a commercial cassette that had been glued together at the
seams, just removing the screws will let you take the cassette apart.  It's not
tough!
Ciao for now,
Sue

Dr. Sue E. K. Otto
Director, Language Media Center
Adj. Associate Professor, Dept. of Spanish & Portuguese
   and International Programs
120 Phillips Hall
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-1323