LLTI Archives

January 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 10:03:56 -0500
(4) from Douglas W. Canfield

I don't know how many of you follow Inside Higher Ed., but it has been my
experience that anything that Joshua Kim pens has to be taken with a grain
of salt...you'll notice he doesn't get a lot of comments on his entries,
which for someone who is begging for them speaks volumes. I find he is
mostly off-the-mark (present case in point), so much so that it seems
pointless to take on the task of continually correcting him, although this
case might be an opportunity to gently inform him of his misinformed
state....

doug

Douglas W. Canfield
Coordinator III, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Languages & Literatures
University of Tennessee
Co-Editor in Chief, The IALLT Journal
http://web.utk.edu/~dcanfie1/
Skype: dougcanfield
Second Life: Rockytop Berchot

(5) from [log in to unmask]

I wouldn't worry too much about language labs being #7 on Joshua Kim's (Inside
Higher Ed) list of obsolete technologies. The assertion is baseless. Did you
notice that language labs are not actually on The Silicon Alley Insider&
ThingsThat Became Obsolete This Decade; as Kim insinuates. Kim's list is really
just Kim's personal opinion.

(6) from Luz Forero

Good idea to let them know we are surviving personally-owned laptops, Cindy!
That's why language labs keep reinventing themselves. Language centers are still
relevant if we staff them with engaged students who know how to use all the fun
technology that is available and who attract other students to a vibrant,
bustling space. Language teaching and learning was never about the machines,
anyway. It has always been about people. The new technologies allow us to be
more social than ever in other languages. Take that, BlogU!

Happy New Year greetings to you and to all LLTI-ers!

Luz

Luz Forero
Assistant Director, Oldenborg Center for Modern Languages and International
Relations
Pomona College
350 N. College Way
Claremont, CA  91711