LLTI Archives

January 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 10:03:54 -0500
(1)  from "Bob Peckham" <[log in to unmask]> ---

The person who wrote this foolishly assumes that all educational institutions
are the same, have the same kind of students. Here are some of the reasons we
still have a lab (even without a director). 1. Working with digital technologies
is an integral part of what our students are asked to do. 2. A number of our
students have no internet service at home. 3. Some have no computer. More than
half with internet do not have high speed. 4. Very few can make recordings on
their computers or have the apps they need to do what we want.  There are other
reasons, like the fact that many students are not buying laptops with their tech
dollar; they are going for hand-held devices (iphones, etc.)

Go to http://www.tflta.org/

Click on the TFLTA JOURNAL link and read my article

"Information Dynamics for Twenty-First Century Literacy Guides", pp. 41-49

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D
Professor of French
Chair, AATF Commission on Advocacy
Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
Director, Andy Holt Virtual Library
Department of English and Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
Email: [log in to unmask]

(2)  from "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]>

Yeah, don't forget that books are obsolete too....

Judy

(3) from Sarah Withee [log in to unmask]

I'd place much more credence in the views of Brian Hawkins and Diana
Oblinger of Educause on the need for computer labs (and by extension,
language labs).  Please see their article in the Educause Review entitled
"The Myth about the Need for Public Computer Labs."
http://www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Review/EDUCAUSEReviewMagazineVolume42/The
MythabouttheNeedforPublicCo/161912

Whoever this Joshua Kim is, he is not paying attention to the major voices
in higher ed IT today.

Sarah

Sarah Withee
Instructional Technologist