LLTI Archives

January 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:37:50 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:45:25 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: non-USB headsets

A couple of months back, someone asked for a recommendation for non-USB
headsets.  Multimedia Learning Systems generously sent me a sample of
their Media-2 headset, which has two analog 1/8" mini-jack connectors,
one for the microphone and one for the earphones, as would fit a PC
sound card, audio mixers, or breakout boxes.

<http://www.multimedialearningsystems.com/products-headsets.php>

I wanted to report my impression, that the sound quality is very good
for the price point of $13.50.  The headset is similar to the
behind-the-head style headphones that are fairly popular with many iPod
users, especially those wishing to avoid mussing their hairstyles.
This headset is different from any other behind-the-head headsets that
I have seen, in that they don't put pressure on the ears.  Instead, the
plastic is molded so that the pressure needed to keep them in place is
carried by the bones above the ears, and the ear pads rest lightly on
the ear.  For an eyeglass wearer like me, this is much more
comfortable.

The microphone is on a short boom, and ends up beside my cheek, a bit
back from the corner of my mouth.  As I mentioned, the sound quality is
quite good.  The headset has a "youth" look, more like K-12 than higher
ed.  This could be a plus or a minus.  I imagine that our students
would be less likely to steal these than something that looked
"cooler".  I judge them to be well-suited to average and smaller heads.
They might be a bit small/tight for the largest head sizes, although
the vendor might be able to give more reliable data on that.

Overall, I think this headset is worth considering, if you need a
non-USB headset.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center