LLTI Archives

December 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:59:43 -0500
(1) from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Deanne,

We use Koss SB45 (non-USB) headsets in one of our PC labs, and they
work quite well. One thing we noticed is that it made a difference
which audio ports we plugged them into. Our Dells have inputs on both
the front and back. The front seems to be the "default" that most
programs recognize. When we had them plugged in the back, we had to
fiddle with settings to get them to work with certain software. I'm
not sure if you might have the same issues with the USB ports - it
might be worth checking out.

Judi

(2) from [log in to unmask]

The Califone 3066 AV has two 1/8" mini-jacks, one for earphones, one
for microphone, intended to plug into a computer sound card, or
equivalent microphone input/sound output ports.  They are rugged,
ugly enough to deter theft, and have pretty good sound.  As you
mention, trying out a non-USB model such as this would help you
isolate the source of the problem.

<http://www.califone.com/pdf/spec_sheets/headphones/3066_2005spec.pdf>

A quick web search indicates prices under $30 can be found.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]

(3) from [log in to unmask]

Has anyone have any experience with Cyber Acoustics AC201 headsets?
Particularly with ilrn.heinle.com or Wimba Voice / Wimba Classroom
Tools?

Thank you,
Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo
Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo