LLTI Archives

December 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:27:03 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (15.5)"

>Date:         Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:43:20 -0500
>From: "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (15.5)"
>Subject: LLTI: approval required (BD6585D1)
>To: [log in to unmask]

I$E2Aove upgraded a couple of faculty members  here at Duke to Snow Leopard 10.6
and have run into a couple of problems with scripted languages.  I$E2Aom
wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and knows of the solutions.

1. When using Arabic, a user lost the Arabic character for the key next to the
"1" key  - "=deg.adda" or Shift-"$E1PIefAl".  I was able to get the "$E1PIefAl"
character itself by pressing Option-3, but I couldn't find any way to get the
"=deg.adda"character that appears when you would normally press
Shift-"$E1PIefAl".  This worked just fine in Leopard 10.5

2. When using Hindi and the Devanagari font in Snow, only little question mark
characters show up in Word 2008.  The language and font work fine in Textedit,
OpenOffice and various other apps - just not in Office 2008.  The font doesn't
even show up in the font menu.  The user had been using a different font from
some ancient Mac OS (they couldn't remember how long it's been) and it didn't
work in Snow leopard, so they were trying to use the Devanagari font instead.

Any insight into the resolution of these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis Meek, Computer Desktop Support
Office of Technology Services
Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, Duke University
phone: 919-812-1495
email: [log in to unmask]