LLTI Archives

December 2009, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 22:47:54 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Subject: Looking for help with ilrn recording issues - headset recommendation?
>Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:21:16 -0500

Hi,
I am looking for anyone who has battled recording issues with the
ilrn.heinle.com recording functions.  We are using Plazas, 3rd edition
and continue to have recording issues.

We are running XP computers and are trying to use Logitech USB clear
chat headsets.  Students try to record their voice, but when they play
it back, they cannot hear the recordings.  We have adjusted the XP
audio settings to make sure the input and output are the Logitech
headsets.  We check the volume settings, including the mic and we have
adjusted the settings in the ilrn recording page to make sure that it
is using the Logitech headset and that it is "allowed" permanently to
record to the server.  (The latter being the recommendation from the
publisher). But they still aren't working.  Often times in pairs, the
students can't hear eachother and their voices don't record.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?  Do you have any
recommendations?  I am wondering if it isn't an issue with the
headsets or more particularly the USB ports on the computers.  We have
swapped out headsets but sometimes the headset will work on one
computer but won't work on the computer next to it.  It also appears
to be intermittent in that the student may test it before beginning
their recording but then it won't work when they do the actual
recording they are assigned.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to sturdy headsets that are not
USB that we might try?  In addition to iLrn, we use Wimba (integrated
in Blackboard) as our language classroom solution.

Thank you,
Deanne

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo
Director, Language Resource Center