LLTI Archives

December 2009, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:07:26 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 10:48:49 -0600
>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9296 online assessment
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Hi Arnold,

In my opinion, if you are designing good quality assessable
performance tasks, than you have your assessment in the extent to
which students demonstrate what they know and can do. The amount of
time is not related in any way to the quality of what they can do so
you aren't looking at amount of time logged in at all. Now, there are
practice activities that they would probably do that would prepare
them for some sort of larger performance task. Those you might want to
simply grade with respect to completed or not completed, similar to a
traditional class where students get check minus, check, or check plus
for homework. That homework prepares them for a performance task and
those who spent the time to learn the material do better on that
performance task than those who didn't spend the time they needed to
learn to perform well.

I think in the online course, the only thing that you have to worry
about, as we do in our hybrid courses, is that the student doing the
final performance task that is assessable is the actual student taking
the course. Since we are dealing with language which includes oral
components, we haven't had too much trouble in knowing if it was the
actual student or someone trying to impersonate a student. Ultimately,
it is the student's responsibility and choice as to how well they will
learn the material. They earn the grades they get so we know if they
are participating or not by how well they can perform.

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin
618 Van Hise Hall