MACSCRPT Archives

November 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chuck Pelto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:12:15 -0700
Hi Shane,

On Nov 17, 2009, at 11:45 PM, Shane Stanley wrote:

> On 18/11/09 5:28 PM, "Chuck Pelto" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to find an example of scripting InDesign to change specific
>> characters in ASCII to be other characters in another font. However, InDesign
>> seems to have no functionality for replacing text.
>
> InDesign has multiple ways of replacing text: using a normal find/replace,
> using grep find/replace, or using standard AS "set contents of every
> character of every story whose...". Which you use depends on which version
> and what exactly you want to change.

On a Mac, I want to change a simple pipe-character (|) to a rotated floral heart bullet (❧) and color that bullet in vermillion. There are over 1000 instances that need to be changed. And they're scattered throughout the text on an irregular basis.

Do you have an example?

Regards,

Chuck
P.S. I'm working with InDesign from CS2.....