MACSCRPT Archives

November 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Stan Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:42:54 -0800
On 11/16/09 10:58 AM, "Paul Berkowitz" wrote:

> Hamish Sanderson goes by the handle "has". I'm not certain if he still
> subscribes to MacScrpt, but he certainly does subscribe to, read, and
> sometimes participate on the AppleScript Users mailing list. Go there and
> inquire. I think he wrote there a few weeks ago. In fact, if you check even
> recent archives for "has" as a username, you should find his email address
> and can even ask him directly if he doesn't respond on the list within a few
> days.

The original AS library work done by Hamish is archived at:
    http://applemods.sourceforge.net/modBrowser.html
His library system was origianlly dubbed "Loader," but was later renamed
"appleMods." Besides the above website, there is a very inactive forum and a
support email address (handled by a volunteer steering committee of
well-known AppleScripters, which are listed on the website).

Additionally, about a year-and-a-half ago, Hamish posted an announcement (on
the AS users list) that he'd begun a complete redesign and rewrite of the
module-loading system intended for OS 10.4 and later. I believe the project
is now inactive, because the files that were posted at that time are no
longer available online.

Hamish's personal projects website and contact information are available at:
    http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/

Another library option is Smile, available free from Satimage Software at:
    http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/smile/index.html
It is listed as a "programming and working environment" with many
interesting capabilities. It includes an extensive library of routines for
accomplishing a wide variety of tasks.

There may be other library systems that I've either forgotten about or of
which I'm unaware. Please forgive my inadvertent omissions.

The use of standardized libraries in AppleScript has never caught on very
well. There may be other reasons as well, but it may be because (1)
scripting additions more-or-less fill the same niche (and are simpler to
use); (2) libraries, in use, are difficult to debug; (3) AS scripters tend
to be rather independent and self-reliant; and (4) Apple has never offically
supported any particular implementation of one.

I'd encourage Paul Skinner to post his script server work. It might not be
widely utilized, but may be exactly what some someone, somewhere needs. Of
course, doing so would entail a lot of work to prepare, document, post, and
support the project. If Paul is able to do so, it would certainly show the
same kind of helping spirit that many in the AS community, past and present,
have demonstrated.

Stan C.