MACSCRPT Archives

November 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Paul Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:18:59 -0500
Hi guys,

	I've been polishing up my script server generator lately. It supports
the automated creation of script servers that can contain the
handlers, script objects and properties that you select and rolls them
( and their dependancies ) up into tidy little bundles that can be
loaded into a script..

	Since I have a considerable script Library I didn't want to have them
all loaded into a script server and subscribe to that when often times
I utilize only a fraction of the library. So I created this
application to generate custom script servers that contain only the
objects appropriate to the current project.

	I also disliked the normal methods for subscription to script
libraries and developed a method that was simple, direct and offers in-
editor documentation for the objects in the server. By loading the
server as the parent you get access to the loaded objects without
contaminating the namespace of the script. Only the handlers are
directly available in the child script, all other objects are confined
to the parent and must be accessed using the 'My object' construct.

	I've found this solution to be very convenient and helpful so ( being
currently unemployed ) I have spent a little time lately to polish it
up, create some nice icons for it and otherwise prepare it for
sharing. So I'm here to ask you, some of the most prolific and
experienced Applescripters that I know of, if you actually use
Libraries and script servers regularly and if you think I should
bother with distributing this?

	I recall that someone did a great deal of development on a similar
solution with support for dependancies, updating of library scripts
etc and then left the Applescript community out of frustration with
the limitations of the language. I can't find any references to this
work on google. Does anyone recall Hamish's ( I believe that was his
name ) work and have info on the project he developed?

	By the way, I've currently named the project 'Dumpling Press' and it
spits out the most delicious looking 'dumplings'!

Thanks,
Paul Skinner